I picked up my first fishing pole when I was 4 years old using a cork and bobber and crickets. I didn’t start bass fishing until 2009 after my fascination grew to want to catch a biggin’. Speaking of a biggin’, I caught a 24 ¼ inch Chain Pickerel in Virginia in 2005 earning the Freshwater Trophy Award.
My first bass boat was a 2009 Bass Tracker with a 25hp motor. I was so proud of that boat! I joined my first bass club, Bryan County (Georgia) Bassmasters mid-season in 2009. Out of 102 members on the club roster, I finished the year in 6th place!
I took a 2-year sabbatical from bassin’ as I was transitioning from military service in the Coast Guard to civilian life. I joined Liberty County Bass Club in 2012. I came back strong and earned 6th place in the club that season.
I participated in my first regional tournament in 2012, competing against 200 anglers. I completed all 3 days and finished in 100th place as a non-boater. I knew the first morning out there before safe light, I was addicted to tournament fishing. All of the lights reminded me of Christmas, my favorite time of the year.
Thus far, 2014 was my stellar year. I won THREE awards:
- 2nd place Top 6 Team Tournament
- Big Fish Award weighing in at 4 lbs 15 ozs
- Club Champion Award for earning the most points in the club
Why I fish:
Fishing relaxes me. That first tug I feel on my line, makes my heart beat so hard. I love sharing my stories with others and introducing this fascinating sport to young people.
- Hometown: Kinston, NC
- Birthday: February 12, 1977
- Current home: Myrtle Beach, SC
- Spouse: Thomasina (Thommi) Odom Lawson
- Child: Son, Sean
- Favorite food: Cake!
- Favorite Beverage: Cabernet Sauvignon, of course!
- Favorite Exercise: Eating cake
- Favorite Holiday: Christmas
- Favorite Music: Old school R & B